What the fuck is wrong with people? Seriously? Look at an excerpt from the article “Religion can trump medical advice, docs say“:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – Many US doctors believe that the religious convictions of their patients should outweigh their own professional advice when it comes to making certain medical decisions. When the patient is a child, however, a large majority of doctors say that they, and not the child’s guardian, should have the final say, regardless of the guardian’s religious beliefs.
More than half (57 percent) of the physicians surveyed said that a patient’s religious reason for a medical course of action should trump a doctor’s treatment advice. In contrast, the other 43 percent said it should not.
When it comes to making healthcare decisions for children, however, nearly 84 percent of doctors agreed that a physician’s medical decision should not be overridden by the religious beliefs of a child’s guardian.
The respondents were almost evenly divided about whether saving a person’s life justifies violating their religious beliefs, with 51 percent saying that saving a person’s life does not justify that religious violation.
How can more than half of American doctors surveyed believe that saving a life does not justify violating someone’s religious beliefs? At least they still seem to value the lives of children (although apparently, roughly one sixth of them don’t do even that), but don’t doctors have some kind of oath which keeps them from sitting around and doing nothing while someone dies?