USS Enterprise is a prestigious name given to ships in Starfleet. The name was made famous by Captain James T. Kirk, whose actions as captain of the Enterprise saved the Federation from destruction on more than one occasion.
The first Enterprise in Starfleet (not counting the NX-01 from the series Star Trek: Enterprise, which predates the formation of the Federation) was a Constitution-class starship with registry number NCC-1701. After Captain Kirk destroyed the Enterprise to prevent it from falling into Klingon hands, the Federation recommissioned another Constitution-class starship as the new Enterprise with the registry number NCC-1701-A. This set a precedent which Starfleet has followed ever since, maintaining at least one ship named Enterprise in the fleet with a registry number of NCC-1701, differentiated by a letter.
- "This is a new ship, boy, but she's got the right name. Remember that... You treat her like a lady, she'll always bring you home."
- --Admiral Leonard McCoy
Starfleet Ships Named Enterprise
- Enterprise (NX-01) - Prototype starship commanded by Captain Jonathan Archer.
- Enterprise (TOS) (NCC-1701) - Constitution-class starship commanded by Captain James T. Kirk
- Enterprise-A (NCC-1701-A) - Constitution-class starship commanded by Captain James T. Kirk
- Enterprise-B (NCC-1701-B) - Excelsior-class starship commanded by Captain John Harriman
- Enterprise-C (NCC-1701-C) - Ambassador-class starship commanded by Captain Rachel Garret
- Enterprise-D (NCC-1701-D) - Galaxy-class starship commanded by Captain Jean-Luc Picard
- Enterprise-E (NCC-1701-E) - Sovereign-class starship commanded by Captain Jean-Luc Picard