An android is a robot designed to resemble a human being. Androids are common features of science fiction stories. An android specifically designed to replicate a human female is sometimes called a gynoid.
Reasons for building an android
- Humans or humanoid aliens may be more comfortable interacting with a humanoid robot than an extremely "mechanical" robot.
- The android can use equipment designed for humanoids, giving it versatility.
- The android's purpose requires it to be disguised as a human or humanoid.
- The desire to build a Sexbot.
Examples of Androids
Androids often appear in visual science fiction, probably because it is cheaper to designate an actor as an android or give him/her some prosthetic makeup or costume than to build a non-anthropomorphic robot or render one in CGI.
- Data, from Star Trek.
- C-3PO, from Star Wars. Guri is an example of a more complete attempt at replicating the human form.
- The Terminator, from the movie of the same name.
- Harlan and the android clones of SG-1 from Stargate.
- The Dr. Eva/EDI body from Mass Effect.
- Ash and Bishop from Alien and Aliens.
- "Synths" in Fallout 4.