Asgard (Stargate SG-1)
The Asgard are a species of small humanoids standing about a meter tall, easily discernable by their slender bodies, large heads, black eyes, grey skin and flat faces, much in line with appearence of Greys.
All Asgard upload copies of their minds onto computer databanks which, in the event of death, are downloaded into a clone body, granting the Asgard a degree of immortality. This never the less has been problematic for the Asgard; modern Asgard lack any reproductive organs and are unable to reproduce sexually.
The Asgard are an ancient species with a civilization 100,000 years old. It was a member of an ancient alliance of four species, including the Ancients, the Nox and the Furlings.
In Earth's history, the Asgard posed as gods for the Norse civilization, acting as a benevolent force desiring the safety and well being of humanity.
- In 1998, SG-1 made first contact with the Asgard when trying to keep Her'u'rur from conquering Cimmeria.
- O'Neill later made contact with the the Asgard in early 1999, when he had the knowledge of the Ancients stuck in his brain.
- In 2000, the Thor came to Earth on the Belisknir while it was infested with Replicators and beamed up O'Neill. O'Neill later beamed up Carter and Teal'c. They destroyed the most of the Replicators by causing the Belisknir to enter the atmosphere uncontrolled. They escaped with Thor through the Stargate when they beamed it up from Cheyenne Mountain.
- In 2002, Thor was captured by Anubis when he came to the defense of the planet Adara II to protect Heimdall while he was studying some 30,000 year old Asgard bodies that were found. SG-1 recovered Thor's body, but his mind was still in Anubis' Ha'tak. Anubis later abandoned the mothership, and Thor piloted it to Earth. SG-1 then recovered his mind and escaped the mothership before it exploded under the Pacific Ocean.
- In late 2002, Thor found the Prometheus and took it Halla so SG-1 could make the time dilation device on the planet work properly. He chose the Prometheus because the Replicators would ignore it. The mission was completed as a result.
- In 2003, the Asgard refitted the Prometheus with Asgard designed weapons and shields.
- In 2004, the Asgard gained the disruptor ray technology from O'Neill's consciousness, and they managed to defeat the Replicators for a while.
- In 2005, the Replicators were ultimately defeated at the Battle of Dakara. Afterwords, the Asgard began work on rebuilding their civilization. They also helped out in construction of the Daedalus-class ships built by the Tau'ri (by giving them intergalactic hyperdrives, sensors, beaming technology, reactors).
- In 2007, the Asgard gave Earth their legacy and killed themselves by blowing up Orilla.
The ruling body of the Asgard Empire was the Asgard High Council, no specific head of state has ever been mentioned. Thor held a seat on the Asgard High Council. How members are appointed to this council is not known, but the system might be technocratic in nature.
The Asgard were among the most powerful and technologically advanced civilizations in the Stargate Universe. Though the extent and scope of their civilization was not known, they were more than capable of defeating the Goa'uld.
Asgard of Note
- Thor: Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet.
- Loki: A renegade Asgard Scientist