From Imperial Wiki
(Redirected from Point Defense)
Point defense refers to weapons systems designed to target and destroy incoming ordinance before it reaches its target.
Real-life Point Defense Systems
- Goalkeeper Close in Weapons System (CIWS)
- Phalanx system
Point Defense in Science Fiction
- In Stargate, Tau'ri spacecraft are equipped with point defense systems; first armed with CIWS batteries, they later switched to railguns.
- In the latest incarnation of Battlestar Galactica, the Galactica is equipped with a large arsenal of point defense weaponry.
- The interceptors used by EarthForce ships in Babylon 5 are a type of point defense weapon.
- In Star Trek (2009), Federation starships can use their phasers for point defense.
- GARDIAN defense lasers in Mass Effect, which are effective to the point of rendering long range ship-to-ship missiles obsolete.
- Star League Automatic Repulsor Guns from The Last Starfighter.