Disease of the week
A disease of the week is an illness that serves as a plot device in a single Star Trek (or other SF series) episode. The existence of disease-based episodes that occur on Federation planets or bases is amusing in light of Federation claims to have eliminated disease.
Star Trek Examples
- "Code of Honor": A plague on Styris IV requires the Enterprise to retrieve a medical treatment from the non-Federation planet Ligon II.
- "Too Short a Season": Admiral Jameson has a chronic case of Iverson's Disease.
- "Angel One": A virus that Wesley acquired during shore leave infects most of the crew of the Enterprise.
- "The Schizoid Man": Dr. Ira Graves is dying of Varnay's Disease.
- "Sarek": Sarek is suffering from Bendii Syndrome, a disease that causes dementia in elderly Vulcans.