Modern destroyers are multi-role warships that can attack opposing ships, submarines, aircraft, and inland targets with cannons, torpedoes, and missiles. In the modern US Navy, they also serve as escorts for carriers.
Real Life Destroyers
- Charles F. Adams-class (United States Navy)
- Spruance-class (United States Navy)
- Kidd-class (United States Navy)
- Arleigh Burke-class (United States Navy)
- Zumwalt-class (United States Navy)
- Type 42 (Royal Navy)
- Type 45 (Daring-class) (Royal Navy)
- Iroquois-class (Royal Canadian Navy)
- Takanami-class (Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force)
- Kee Lung-class (Republic of China Navy)
- Type 052C destroyer (People's Liberation Army Navy)
Destroyers in Science Fiction
Destroyers feature prominently in many science fiction series, but their combat role is not necessarily that of escort.