Batman, who in his non-superhero guise is the multi-millionare Bruce Wayne, is a superhero that relies on his wits, training, and high-tech gadgets in his efforts to fight crime. He was inspired to wage war against crime in his home town of Gotham City by the murder of his parents when he was a boy by a common street thug. He uses his massive corporation, Wayne Enterprises, to supply him with crime-fighting equipment.
In addition to having gadgets, Batman has rigorously trained to become an Olympic-level athlete and master of multiple martial arts forms.
Batman is known for his many weapons and gadgets. These include:
- Batarangs: Basically bat-themed shurikens. Sometimes they are fitted with smoke, sleeping/tear gas, and/or explosives.
- Utility Belt: This is where Batman carries his crime fighting equipment, so he can have it within easy reach.
- Grappling Hook and Zip Line
- Glider Cape: Depending on what he is planning, he can convert his cape into a small hang-glider.
- The Bat Signal: A spotlight that projects a bat silhouette, serving as a signal to request his presence.
- The Batmobile (and other Bat-themed vehicles)
Batman has several people to help him with his war on crime, the chiefest of whom is his awesome butler, Alfred Pennyworth. Batman can also rely on his company's technical specialist and technology expert, Lucius Fox, for the creation of his many gadgets.
Over the course of his career, Batman has recruited several young sidekicks under the superhero identity Robin. These include, Richard Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Carrie Kelley (non-canon), Stephanie Brown, and Damian Wayne. Dick Grayson later took on the superhero identity of Nightwing.
There are also women who use the Batman theme. Most of them started out as separate heroes simply inspired by Batman to join in his crime fighting efforts.