Favorite Star Wars Movie

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Favorite Star Wars Movie

A New Hope
2%
The Empire Strikes Back
74%
Return of the Jedi
8%
Phantom Menace
No votes
Attack of the Clones
17%

Total votes: 53

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Favorite Star Wars Movie

Post by Mr. B »

Personally I loved Empire Strikes Back, it had everything, ground combat, lightsabers, super star destroyers, and of course the best surprise ending for any movie past, present, and future.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Empire - Crazy Yoda was the best.

Also first Vader-rific episode.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Personally for me it was Return of the Jedi. If AotC had shown a massive space battle then it would have been close.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

TESB, but I wish it had a space battle. I think it would have been cool if you saw the Rebel fleet all taking off together to engage those two Star Destroyers that were disabled by the Hoth ion cannon battery. So let's say instead of one transport and two X-Wings, there was the entire Rebel fleet and then the Hoth ion cannon battery fired at them and disabled them both. So then the entire Rebel fleet starts pounding on the two ISDs without their shields, they penetrate their hulls, and they both go kablooey as the Rebels hyperspace the hell out, but only JUST after the Executor and the rest of the ISDs catch up with them and start launching TIEs to try to chase them. That would have been a cool new scene in the SE. I wish Lucas made more action scenes like that in the SE instead of just improving the special effects. Maybe that's what he's going to do with the SE DVDs and maybe that is why he's waiting......? Just a thought.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I liked ROtJ the best for the huge space battle scene, and just about everything else about it except those damn Ewoks.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Its obvious the answer is TESB, not only is it by far superior to ANH because after that GL had enough money to play around wiht to get what he wanted done, than ROTJ because it was all show and no magic, plus ewoks. TPM was pretty boring political crap, plus gungans-and jar jar. AOTC was pretty good but it suffered from bad acting and poorly written lines.

TESB suffers from none of these problems. GL had the money, the feel and magic of star wars (cloud city HAD to get ya with that SW feel the first time you saw it), no politics, no dumb aliens (wampa+space slug=cool),ground battle, asteroids, and the best sci-fi love duo ever, leia and han gotta love em.Plus we got a few bonuses, lots of darth vader, lightsaber battles, the introduction of ion cannons and planetary shields, mike wong andf others ateroid calcs, by goodness TESB was a miracle sent by the cinema gods to grace our movie theatres everywhere.

Truly a work of art, ya knwo what im saying :D
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

No doubt ESB.
Btw, it was the least successful SW movie.
Supermod
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

I vote for AotC. It's better than ANH and TPM, and I haven't seen ESB or ROTJ in a long time.
「かかっ―」
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

ESB.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Empire.

Can anyone even THINK of a plot twist along the lines of "I am your father." I remember the enitre theater just gasped and someone in the back yelled "No way!" I haven't seen a reaction like that in the movies since.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Needa
Youngling

Post by Needa »

TESB

Because...
1- Imperial marsh (sp?) I never grow tired of listening it.
2- Luke/Vader confrontation is excellent.
3- Needa is there!
Before you, pitiful trolls, invade this forum take note that:
Mr. Bean will not fear using his irony agaisnt you.
Sir Nitram will burn your idiotic arguments.
Grand Admiral Thrawn will generously dismember your illogical thoughts.
Master of Ossus will bash your stupidity.

And if you are still alive, DARTH WONG WILL CRUSH WHAT'S LEFT. You have been warned.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

TESB because it shows that the Rebels can't win them all. Plus, AT-ATs! If I had one of them things, I'll never be late for work! :twisted:
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
CorSec
Jedi Knight

Post by CorSec »

Needa wrote:1- Imperial marsh (sp?) I never grow tired of listening it.
It's the Imperial March. The Imperial Marsh is where they send white collar criminals instead of sending them to the blue collar prisons of Kessel. Or something.
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Empire Strikes Back, is what star wars should be, by far the best of the 5 movies out.

Ironically my two favorite charactors come out of the worst movie. I think Qui-Gon is the man, and Darth Maul is just awsome. They should have explored both these charactors, more (more maul). The laghtsaber battle IMHO was easily the best in the trilogy thus far. (Ray Park is awsome). Yoda was cool fighting and all, but Christopher Lee just did not have the skill.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Ironically my two favorite charactors come out of the worst movie. I think Qui-Gon is the man, and Darth Maul is just awsome. They should have explored both these charactors, more (more maul). The laghtsaber battle IMHO was easily the best in the trilogy thus far. (Ray Park is awsome). Yoda was cool fighting and all, but Christopher Lee just did not have the skill."

You are aware that it was a stunt double?
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Favorite Star Wars Movie

Post by Eleas »

TESB, by the way. Dark, gritty, good.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Christopher Lee did much of his own sword fighting work in AoTC simply because he's been in more sword fighting scenes in various movies than any other living actor. You can see that he has been replaced with a younger person in some of the acrobatic scenes, but there are several where he does his own work.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

My favorite is ROTJ, with ESB in a close second. ROTJ wins out because of the ending:

1. Luke is captured.
2. The bunker team gets delayed.
3. The whole Endor battle turns out to be a trap.
4. The Emperor drops one of the biggest bombs in the series: "Now, witness the firepower of this FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL battle station!"

That line still gives me the shivers when I hear it! True, "I am your father" is a pretty damn big bombshell, but in ROTJ, you're thinking: "This is bad, but I'm sure the Rebs can pull it together." Then the Emperor has his say and all thoughts turn to: "Holy shit, there's just no way!"

Following that, you have one of the most explosive movie endings ever! I just have to love it!
JADAFETWA
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Like we didn't see this poll comming. TESB all the way.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Its all so very close. ANH just has magic in it, you watch and listen enraptured by the story and the battle sequence is LONG, which is always a good thing. I mean how many movies can sustain something like 12 minutes-15 minutes of continuous action. TESB is what I voted for simply because it had everything ANH had and a litle bit more. Now admittedly I sometimes get bogged down by the whole trapped in the asteroid field bit but that's about all otherwise an excellent movie I just wish there was more of. RotJ was awesome in that it was a story packed in between two awesome action sequences (I consider Tatooine and the entire Endor 3 part battle sequences). TPM I think is better when you watch it without those nagging little thoughts in the back of your head. I mean if you can actually just sit down and pretend you've never heard of a SW critic before the imagery and the awesome prescence of Qui-Gon and Maul just makes it a great show. AOTC is hampered only by a wooden love story which doesn't make the greatest sense ("I am genocidal maniac, hold me") but it still has the single most awesome battle of all five movies. I would honestly have voted AOTC but I get the feeling that its good leg will seem weaker when compared with Ep III.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I am genocidal maniac, hold me
LOL! I'm halfway Tempted to add that to my Sig

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Mr Bean wrote:
Well I'd say I was gonna use it but it seems almost arrogant to use my own quote in my sig.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Mr Bean:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Well I'd say I was gonna use it but it seems almost arrogant to use my own quote in my sig.

Why? It's your quote, after all!
JADAFETWA
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

Toss up between ESP & AOTC
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I voted for Episode II, but there should be a "It's a toss-up between Empire and Clones" choice in the poll. Clones I just thought rocked in the action sequences, and I've seen it 5 or 6 times, thoroughly enjoying it each time. It's something fresh and new, which is nice.

Empire, on the other hand, had Darth Vader, the Imperial March, the first appearance of the Executor, and a "the good guys lost" kind of ending. Also, the more I think about it, the more I just loved the interplay between Han and Leia. It provided intelligent comic relief, and let's face it, Harrison Ford is just a brilliant actor. Empire had the most memorable lines of the series.

But, still, something about Clones just makes me enjoy the Hell out of it every time I see it. Part of it is also the love theme "Across the Stars" which sits up there with the Imperial March in terms of the best Star Wars music ever. It's like I can watch the film just by listening to the soundtrack, and I'll feel everything I felt in the theatre.

Oh well. Like I said, it's a toss-up.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion