Difference between revisions of "Stargate"
m (→See Also)
|Line 30:||Line 30:|
== See Also ==
== See Also ==
*http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/stargate.asp Chuck Sonnenburg review of the first Stargate
*http://sfdebris.com/videos/films/stargate.asp Chuck Sonnenburgreview of the first Stargate
[[Category:Stargate]][[Category: Science Fiction]]
[[Category: Science Fiction]]
Revision as of 13:06, 1 January 2013
Stargate is a science fiction franchise created by MGM entertainment. Generally well received among SD.net's population, it gets its name from the Stargate network (a network of ring-shaped devices, that allow interstellar travel via wormholes), which allows the modern United States military (and, later, international forces) to move about the galaxy and fight against extraterrestrial powers threatening Earth.
- Stargate (1994): The original movie was set around the first stargate expedition to Abydos and a fight against the Goa'uld Ra. The movie itself was done well enough to establish the fanbase, although it is generally agreed not to be the best part of the franchise. It introduced two main charicters, Jack O'Neill and Dr. Daniel Jackson.
- Stargate SG1 (1997-2006): Widely considered the best of the series, despite retconning certain facts about the Goa'uld (primary villains until season 9) and a few questionable episodes in the first season, SG1 rapidly distinguished itself with high-quality writing and acting.
- Stargate Atlantis (2004-2009): This series started with an expedition to another galaxy and the establishment of a colony on a water-covered world. While not as well received as Stargate SG-1, most fans still find it watchable. Season Five will be the final season ending with 'Enemy At The Gate'.
- Stargate Universe (2009-2011): This series was given the heads up by Scifi Channel on August 22, 2008. Production started in early 2009. It is set to premier on October 2, 2009. That said, its ratings were not praticularly high and in 2011 it was cancelled.
Several direct-to-DVD movies were released to rap up the events of SG1
- The Tau'ri (Humans from Earth)
- The Asgard
- The Goa'uld, Covering the established system lords and non system lord Goa'uld
- The Tok'ra
- The Ancients
- The Replicators
- The Ori
- The Wraith
- The Lucian Alliance
Gaters are Stargate Fans, prominent gaters on SD.net include:
- Chris OFarrell