A monolitic culture is a civilization that completely revolves around a single concept or activity. One of the most common examples is the "proud warrior race", in which virtually every member of the civilization pursues martial skills to the exclusion of almost everything else. Monolithic cultures are a common brain bug in science fiction.
Monolithic cultures occasionally make sense, as in the case of the Orks of Warhammer 40,000 or the Jem'Hadar of Star Trek; both races are genetically engineered to do nothing but fight, and their behavior is artificially biased in that one direction (although Jem'Hadar do have other civilizations to support them, and some Orks engage in non-combat tasks).
- Klingons (Star Trek): perhaps the best-known "proud warrior race" in science fiction.
- Ferengi (Star Trek): a society that pursues wealth to the exclusion of all else.
- Hutts (Star Wars): apparently all Hutts are organized crime bosses.
- Predators (from the movie): a civilization that seems to be composed solely of trophy hunters.
- Hirogen (Star Trek): see Predators.