An energy cloud or energy being is a shapeless lifeform supposedly comprised of pure energy, even though it usually appears like a cloud of smoke.
For some strange reason, many science fiction franchises, including Star Trek, seem to think that these "energy clouds" are the ultimate life forms; yet another annoying brain bug. Such beings have appeared since TOS and continued to be seen in Voyager.
- Zefram Cochrane's "Companion" was stated to be electricity and ionized hydrogen.
- The Organians were said to have evolved into non-corporeal energy beings.
- Kirk once hunted an energy cloud that drained the blood of its victims and could only be destroyed by an antimatter explosion for some reason.
- A pure energy alien possessed several different people and the Enterprise's computer in the middle of a killing spree. This same alien was supposedly responsible for the murders of Jack the Ripper.
- Sargon and his race supposedly transformed themselves into formless beings of pure energy after they destroyed the surface of their world.
- The Enterprise is actually invaded by an "energy storm".
- The Enterprise crew is forced to engage in hand-to-hand combat with Klingons on board by a being that lives on "hate"
- The Enterprise-D picked up such a being who eventually possessed Jean-Luc Picard and beamed both itself and Picard into the void of space to get back to its own people.
- A brilliant human scientist once implanted his "consciousness" into Data
- Deanna Troi was impregnated by such a being once.
- Q tormented a group energy beings known as the Calamarain, and they came back for revenge when he temporarily lost his powers.
- Zalkonians are supposedly in the middle of just such an "evolutionary transformation" (again, completely distorting the entire concept of evolution).
- The Paxans possessed Troi to get the Enterprise to leave them alone.
- An unnamed alien removed the "consciousness" from several hundred criminals and banished them to another planet that served as their prison. These "consciousnesses" could possess other living beings and even Data.
- Such a being seduced female ancestors of Beverly Crusher for many generations
- The Vorlons are a race that is compose principally of energy.
- Human telepath Jason Ironheart transformed into an energy being as a result of Psi Corps experiments.
- In the B5 movie "River of Souls," an entire race spontaneously "evolved" to an incorporeal form in one generation.
- TOS "Metamorphosis"
- TOS "Errand of Mercy"
- TOS "Obsession"
- TOS "Wolf in the Fold"
- TOS "Return to Tomorrow"
- TOS "The Lights of Zetar"
- TOS "Day of the Dove"
- TNG "Lonely Among Us"
- TNG "The Schizoid Man"
- TNG "The Child"
- TNG "Déjà Q"
- TNG "Transfigurations".
- TNG "Clues"
- TNG "Power Play"
- TNG "Sub Rosa"
- VOY "The Cloud"