From Imperial Wiki
Revision as of 05:45, 20 November 2012 by Zor (Created page with "'''Conscription''' refers to a military body gaining recruits through making service compulsory. == Historic Instances of Conscription == *The Army of the Qin Dynasty was based a...")
Conscription refers to a military body gaining recruits through making service compulsory.
Historic Instances of Conscription
- The Army of the Qin Dynasty was based around universal conscription
- The Roman Army was based around conscription until the Marian Reforms
- Various instances of Feudal Levies
- Ashigaru in Feudal Japan
- Starting with Peter the Great, the army of the Tsardom of Russia was primarilly composed of conscripts
- TheLevee en Masse during the French Revolutionary Wars produced a vast army
- Both the North and the South during the American Civil War engaged in conscription, though this was unpopular.
- Conscription was commonplace during the Great War and Second World War