"Elite Forces" is a general term referring to soldiers who have fighting skills that exceed the norm, either through being seasoned veterans or through especially rigorous training. Elite units often have superior weapons and equipment, as well.
Examples of Elite Forces
- The Immortals of the Persian Empire
- The Spartiate class in ancient Sparta
- The Sacred band of Thebes
- The Janissaries of the Ottoman Empire
- Joint Task Force 2 (Canada)
- US Navy Seals (United States of America)
- The Special Air Service (United Kingdom)
- Spetznatz (USSR/Russian Federation)
Elite Forces in Science Fiction
A fairly common trend in science fiction and fantasy is the implementation of very intense training programs designed to create extremely proficient and capable soldiers in order to create an army of elite soldiers. Such programs often take years to complete and have high attrition rates. Said programs are often implemented to the point of absurdity.