Colonization is the act of establishing a species or civilization into a new area.
Examples of Colonization
- Greek colonization of the Mediterranean world (Naples and Marseille were originally Greek colonies)
- Roman settlements in various provinces, often settling retired Legionaries in conquered territories to Romanize them.
- Viking settlement in Russia, Iceland, and Newfoundland (the latter was not successful)
- Colonization of North America, Australia, and New Zealand by the British (Often using penal laborers for colonists)
- Colonization of South America by the Spanish and Portuguese.
- Colonization of Quebec, Acadia and Louisiana by the French
- Russian/Soviet colonization of Siberia (sometimes involving the use of deported political prisoners)