The hit parade just never stops, does it?
“Family Values” Senator Ashburn Gets DUI Leaving Gay Bar
SACRAMENTO — The county district attorney says Republican state Sen. Roy Ashburn’s blood-alcohol level was .14 percent when he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving after leaving Faces, a gay bar and nightclub.
Ashburn has voted against every gay rights measure the senate has voted upon, according to Project Vote Smart.
The California Highway Patrol says the Bakersfield lawmaker was arrested early Wednesday after he was spotted driving erratically. Ashburn was taken to the Sacramento County Jail, booked and then released.
Ashburn, the married father of four, was reportedly driving with a male passenger who was not identified.
A spokeswoman for the district attorney’s office, Shelly Orio, said Thursday that a breath test showed Ashburn’s blood alcohol level was .06 percent above the legal limit.
He was released on $1,400 bond.
The lawmaker was a no-show on the Senate floor Thursday. The state-owned vehicle he was driving when he was arrested has been impounded at the Capitol, Senate sergeant-at-arms Tony Beard Jr. said.
Congratulations, Senator Ashburn. You get the Republican trifecta: DUI, improper personal use of a taxpayer-owned vehicle, and being caught picking up a guy at a gay bar!
So how many hypocritical “family values” conservatives do we have now? Let’s see, we have:
- Jim Bakker, televangelist. Caught embezzling money and having sex with his secretary.
- Jimmy Swaggart, televangelist. Charged with soliciting sex from prostitutes. Famously made a tearful apology on TV.
- Ken Calvert (R-CA), who blasted Bill Clinton for his affair with Monica Lewinski. Caught by police receiving oral sex from a prostitute. At least Bill didn’t have to pay for his blowjob.
- Jim Bunn (R-OR), elected with Christian Coalition support, whereupon he immediately divorced his wife to marry an employee (who also mysteriously received a huge pay raise).
- Newt Gingrich, Republican House Speaker, harsh critic of Bill Clinton’s sexual infidelity. Married 3 times, cheated on first wife with a campaign staffer, and was fined $300,000 by the House Ethics Committee for misuse of funds.
- Beverly Russell, executive member of SC Republican executive committee, sexually molested his step-daughter Susan Smith (yes, the same Susan Smith who went insane and drowned her own children).
- Helen Chenoweth (R-ID), blasted Bill Clinton for his adultery but later admitted a long adulterous affair herself.
- Daniel Crane (R-IL), another “family values” crusader, had sex with an underage congressional page.
- John Fund, Wall Street Journal columnist, GOP fundraiser, and anti-abortion crusader, impregnated the daughter of an old girlfriend and then encouraged her to have an abortion.
- Reverend Stephen White, “family values” preacher active at Yale, arrested for offering money to a 14 year old boy for oral sex.
- Brent Parker (R-UT), arrested for soliciting gay sex from an undercover officer.
- Robin Vanderwall, director of the Faith and Family alliance, arrested for criminal solicitation of a minor.
- Paul Crouch, director of the Christian Trinity Broadcasting Network, paid $425000 to silence an alleged gay lover.
- Jim West, Republican mayor of Spokane who crusaded against abortion, gays, and premarital sex. Had a gay affair with a male teenager.
- Dr. David Hager, Bush Administration appointee to the Advisory Committee for Reproductive Health Drugs in the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), wrote numerous books on sexual morality and tried to ban the “morning after” pill. Had an adulterous affair.
- Ted Haggard, hard-line right-wing “family values” preacher, seen in “Jesus Camp” lecturing people on sexual morality. Resigned after being caught with a male prostitute and crystal meth.
- Mark Foley (R-FL), famously caught soliciting underage congressional pages for gay sex.
- Lou Beres, former executive director of the Oregon Christian Coalition. Confessed to police that he fondled under-aged girls.
- Jon Matthews, Republican talk show host in Houston, indicted for exposing his genitals to a teenaged girl.
- Larry Craig (R-ID), yet another “family values” and anti-gay crusader. Famously caught soliciting sex in a men’s airport bathroom.
- Robert Allen (R-FL), arrested for soliciting sex from an undercover officer in a men’s bathroom.
- Daniel Dean Thompson, a Utah retailer of bowdlerized movies (with the dirty parts cut out), arrested for sexually molesting a 14 year old.
- Mark Sanford, Republican governor of SC. Family-values crusader, was being groomed by the GOP as a possible presidential candidate in 2012. Famously caught using taxpayer money to fly to Argentina and have sex with his Argentinian mistress, who he publicly called his “soul mate”. Refused to resign despite numerous calls to do so from both parties.
- And of course, as of today we have this douche-bag Ashburn.
Feel free to look up any or all of these incidents. It is by no means a complete list. For a much longer, fully referenced list, see:
Moral of the story: if you see someone ranting about “family values”, you should keep a watchful eye on your kids.